What if she’s pregnant?
The possibility of pregnancy can be shocking, scary, and stressful. It is common to react with the idea that “this cannot be happening to me” and shut down or lash out. If this happened to you, the first step may be to apologize. Only then can you begin to work through the options together.
You are not alone! This is a situation many men have found themselves in. Here are a few things that can help while trying to process this information.
- Anger and fear are normal – It is ok to feel these things, she probably is too. Express yourself honestly and in a calm way to your partner. This will allow you to both be on the same page when deciding on a next step.
- Talk about it – over the next few days and weeks continue to discuss how a pregnancy will effect both of you and what options that each of you feel comfortable with.
- Think about it – this is not time to make quick decisions. After each time you talk, take a minute to your self to sit down and process what was said. Doing this may bring more clarity to the options that you are choosing.
- Listen – it is easy to focus on your feelings and desires, but this is not a time to think only of what you want. Listen to her. Her body is going through a multitude of changes physically, chemically and emotionally. She needs your support now more than ever.
Though you each have time to gather accurate information about options, a decision will ultimately have to be made. It is important for you to be involved in that process. You will need to be comfortable with the final outcome of abortion, parenting, or adoption. Sometimes is it beneficial to discuss things with someone that is outside of the situation. At Hope Clinic you can both come and talk with a Care-Coordinator about the options that you are considering, gather information, and receive support in the decision making process. No matter what the outcome, we strive to provide information and support every step of the way.
Remember! You SHOULD be able to express your opinion, but you SHOULD NEVER force her into a decision.
There are different types of abortion procedures based on your current stage of pregnancy. To confirm your pregnancy and viability of it, schedule an appointment.
Get confirmation so you can get some sleep.
Does your partner think she is pregnant? The next step is to find out if she is actually pregnant and learn about your options. Hope Clinic confidential pregnancy diagnosis and decision making services at no cost to our clients. We are here to help both of you come to an informed decision.
- Have the pregnancy verified by a Medical Professional
- Connect with others that are faced with similar decision
To help show your support, go with her for the pregnancy test appointment. If she is pregnant, then she is already being overwhelmed by hormone changes that can have a great effect on her mood and judgement. Having your support will reassure her that you care. Coming to the appointment will also allow you to ask any questions that you may have and work through the situation in a way that will be most beneficial for all involved.
At Hope Clinic you can both come and talk with a Care-Coordinator about the options that you are considering, gather information, and receive support in the decision making process. No matter what the outcome, we strive to provide information and support every step of the way.
“Building a Game Plan for Men”
At Hope Clinic we are here for you, too! We strive to offer services for men as well as for women. For that reason, The Huddle focuses on giving you accurate information and developing relationships with other men. This will help to bring strength in decision making and stability during difficult moments. Discussions include topics such as Manhood, Fatherhood, and Brotherhood.
Created by Men, For Men
For more information, call 601-264-2181
I don’t want to talk about this.
Telling someone about an unplanned pregnancy can be stressful! Here are a few things to remember that will make this process a little easier. Pause. Breathe. Take control.
- It’s going to be ok. The reaction you are imagining is often worse than the actual reaction you will receive.
- Gain Support. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help you only increases the stress. The sooner you confide in trusted individuals, the sooner you will not be facing this alone.
- Men, it is her body, and she needs to be consulted before disclosing a potential or confirmed pregnancy to parents or peers.
- Ladies, a potential father has the right to know about a confirmed pregnancy.
- Remember, telling people gets easier.
Hope Clinic strives to walk with you through every step of processing an unplanned pregnancy. Whether you are leaning towards abortion, parenting, or adoption, schedule an appointment to learn more about your options.
Do you know what potential exposures and risk factors for an STD / STI are?
To stay in control of your sexual health you need to know your exposures and risks. At the Hope Clinic we can provide you with information about risk factors and health concerns. If you are concerned you may have been exposed to an STI/STD, take some time to explore the information below and see your healthcare provider. You can also schedule an appointment at Hope Clinic. If you have any questions or concerns you would like to discuss, Hope Clinic’s trained staff and volunteers can give you accurate information and referrals to receive the help you need.
What are some common STI symptoms?
- unusual odor
- discharge from the vagina or penis
- burning during urination and
- sores on the genitals.
Many STIs do not cause any noticeable symptoms and it is important to learn the facts and get tested if you are sexually active.